Donate to St. Gabe's School,
athletics and more at GiveCentral.
throughout the years...
Why Choose Saint Gabriel?
Why Choose Saint Gabriel?
In collaboration with families, Catholic schools teach the values of our faith and tradition, foster experiences of community and service, and provide educational excellence.
Located in the heart of Canaryville at 4500 South Wallace Street, Saint Gabriel Catholic School is an elementary school steeped in a rich history in the City of Chicago. Since opening its doors in September, 1881, the school:
- Has provided a quality education for children from their preschool years through grade eight.
- Operated under the guidance of the Sisters of Mercy whose mission it was to weave Gospel values into education. This continued for over one hundred years.
- Continues to embrace the spirit of the Sisters and provides a first class, faith-based education for students.
- Graduates students who possess not only a solid scholastic footing, but a strong ethical and moral foundation as well.
Saint Gabriel Catholic School:
- Places high academic expectations and standards upon its students.
- Is dedicated to offering developmentally appropriate curriculums that speak to the needs of each child.
- Has small class sizes and caring educators that animate the school Mission and enable students to attain their academic potential.
- Offers comprehensive curricula that includes: Language Arts, Science, Mathematics, Physical Education, Religion, Social Science, Spanish and Fine Arts, which includes drama, art and music.
- Celebrates weekly school and monthly family mass.
- Provides all students access to a computer lab as well as to Internet services in their individual classrooms.
- Uses interactive whiteboards and/or other technology as teaching tools in the classroom.
- Graduates students that are sought after and accepted at many of the top ranking high schools in the Chicagoland area.
Saint Gabriel Catholic School believes in educating the whole child. It:
- Prepares students to be life-long learners with steadfast moral character.
- Fosters teamwork, respect and healthy competition through an outstanding athletic program which includes football, basketball, baseball, volleyball teams as well as cheerleading.
- Promotes non-athletic enrichment activities and a variety of clubs including, chess, crochet, music and drama.
Saint Gabriel Catholic School continues to thrive because of:
- A nurturing faculty and staff
- Parents and guardians who partner with the school in supporting the Mission
- Its heritage. Many of our students come from 3rd, 4th and 5th generation Saint Gabriel families.
- The tradition and loyalty of the community.
- Its Alumni and their passionate commitment to its alma mater.
“The legacy of a Catholic education is more than the knowledge imparted to our students; it is the development of a deep and abiding sense of faith, the realization of the value of moral character and the inspiration of a life-long journey of learning.”
–Daniel Cardinal DiNardo
Saint Gabriel teachers are state certified and the curricula meet all state and archdiocesan standards. They welcome diversity in the classroom and are committed to providing a safe and friendly environment as well. Saint Gabriel Catholic School is accredited by both the Archdiocese of Chicago and the State of Illinois.